Sunday, April 13, 2008

Politics by another name?

Sen. Obama today at a campaign event in Steelton, PA, as reported by Fox News:

Now I am the first to admit that some of the words I chose I chose badly, because as my wife reminds me, I’m not perfect. She reminds me of this frequently, and events often remind me as well,” Obama said, reiterating his regret for his choice of words.

“So I’m not a perfect man and the words I chose, I chose badly. They were subject to misinterpretation, they were subject to be twisted, and I regret that. I regret that deeply. But. But. But. When people suggest that somehow I was demeaning religion. When I know that I’m a man of deep faith, somebody who in my own life has held on to faith, held onto my confidence in God during times of trial and tribulation, then it sounds like there’s some politics being played.


“When people suggest I was somehow being elitist and demeaning hunters when I have repeatedly talked about the tradition that people pass on from generation to generation, hunters and sportsmen, and how I have consistently spoken about my respect for the Second Amendment. When people try to suggest that I was demeaning those traditions, then it sounds like there’s some politics being played. And what really burns me up is when people suggest that me saying that folks are mad, they are angry, they are bitter after 25, 30 years of seeing jobs shipped out, pensions not fulfilled, health care lost. The notion that people are surprised, and are suggesting that I’m out of touch because I spoke honestly about people’s frustrations, that tells me there’s some politics going on,” he said.

Get that? First of all, the words he chose "badly" weren't so because of their content. Oh no, they were only regretful because they were "subject to misinterpretation" and being "twisted". You see, he didn't actually say anything offensive. . .but "some of us" have gone an extra step and found meaning in the words that he plainly didn't intend. How dare we analyze his words! Remind me to get back into "receive-only" mode when dealing with him, He Who Shall Not Be Examined.

And if you took offense to his explanation that midwesterners only value religion as a fallback because of all the disappointment that, in his mind, you rightfully should have had with government for the last 25 (now 30) years. . .well, you're playing politics. Because he CAN'T have been saying something bad about religion. He is, after all, a man of religion, too.

Do you want to know more about his religion or his church? Well, just ask him, right? WRIGHT???

And if you took offense to his statements about guns--that people are "clinging to guns" only because their government has let them down--then you haven't REALLY been paying attention to him--and yes, you too have been playing politics. Or played for a political fool--whichever explanation makes you feel better. That Obama--he's a big supporter of traditions, hunting and sportsman stuff, didn't you know? And just FORGET about the Second Amendment nonsense--he has a lot of respect for that. Haven't you heard him say that?

Oh, and in case you're missing the cue cards, there are some things he says that you're SUPPOSED to listen to as if it were gospel. Other things he says. . .well, don't go playing politics with him!

And about the "honesty" of the "frustrations" that people feel. . .um, that's not it. I'll allow that people are frustrated--heck, that isn't even worth the energy it takes to say. It's when Obama lumped a belief in religion, a love for guns, anti-immigration and anti-free trade sentiments, and antipathy to "different" people all together as manifestations of that frustration that he lost me. But if you, too, look at that laundry list of "manifestations" and think that there's actually a reason why some people might take offense to having all those beliefs grouped into a 10-second soundbite that makes small-town America look like it can't have reasonable reasons for those beliefs (to whatever extent they're actually held). . .well, you're playing politics.

You see, you can't criticize Obama. Either you're a political hack, a political tool, or you're too dumb to know that what you heard isn't what he said.

And somehow, all that isn't supposed to be elitist?

Oh, but at least he admits he isn't perfect.

I'm glad he told me, 'cuz I certainly would have never figured it out!

Or maybe. . .just maybe. . .he's just playing politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home