Thursday, April 17, 2008

I can make up my own mind, thank you

Today, Sen. Obama said to a crowd in North Carolina:

"Last night I think we set a new record because it took us 45 minutes before we even started talking about a single issue that matters to the American people," Obama told the North Carolina crowd. "Forty-five minutes before we heard about health care, 45 minutes before we heard about Iraq, 45 minutes before we heard about jobs, 45 minutes before we heard about gas prices."

Apparently Obama doesn't think that his character, his judgement in public affairs, or his associations with influence peddlers is an "issue" for the American people. There he is again, substituting the judgement of millions of Americans for his own, telling us what should "matter" to us. Condescension oozes from every pore in this guy's body.

Sen. Obama, I will decide what "issues" matter to me. And given your razor-thin record of accomplishment, I think that knowing about the people you choose to hang out with is pretty important. I am especially interested in people who helped you along your ambitious road, such as the Rev. Wright and Ayers. And when your rhetoric starts resembling something that we would expect to see from a Wright sermon, then I am DEFINITELY interested in clarification of the comments you made in the comfort of a San Francisco crowd.

But mostly, I want you to give a straight answer about yourself. And I want you to admit that people can have different beliefs than you and that difference does not mean that the other people have shortcomings in their judgement.

Why? Because it's about character, Sen. Obama, and you don't seem to get that.

You know what? I'll do you a favor, Sen. Obama, and put this in terms that you can understand. I quote my favorite fictional politician, from a movie given to us by the fairly liberal team of Aaron Sorkin and Rob Reiner, in The American President:

Says President Andrew Shepherd (Michael Douglass, in his best role IMHO):

"For the last couple of months, Senator Rumson has suggested that being President of this country was, to a certain extent, about character. And although I've not been willing to engage in his attacks on me, I have been here three years and three days, and I can tell you without hesitation: Being President of this country is entirely about character."

I'm still trying to figure out if Obama HAS character, or if he's just playing one on TV.

Only he can help us answer that question. . .but unfortunately for all of us, he thinks those types of questions aren't things that should matter to voters.

Becuase I'm a giver, I will try once again to help Obama as I quote from The American President yet another time, this instance a line delivered by Martin Sheen's character, Chief of Staff A. J. Macinerney:

"With all due respect, the American people have a habit of deciding for themselves what is and is not their business."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home