Sunday, May 11, 2008

Wisdom of William Joel

Random quick-thought today:

I was listening to Billy Joel's "Keeping the Faith" yesterday. There's a lot of near-poetry in that tune, things that a lot of everyday Joes can relate to about growing up in yesteryear. But my favorite line is this:

Lost a lot of fights. . .but it taught me how to lose okay

For the record, I don't think that learning to be a good loser is any sort of a reason to fight. In fact, I don't think there's a whole heckuva lot of good reasons to fight, period.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't ANY reasons for fighting.

TO POINT: my psychobabble of the day isn't focusing on the "fights" stuff, but much more on the "losing".

When do our kids today learn how to lose "okay"? Or for that matter, learn to lose at all?

I can't help but think that this is one of the reasons why everything in today's youth is so. . .extreme. "Everybody's a winner" makes everybody grow really sensitive to NOT winning--and not in a good way. There's less character development being accomplished by coming out on the short end of the stick, and I, for one, happen to think it means that there's less character development getting accomplished OVERALL.

I also happen to think that this is a big reason for the liberal's insistence that U.S. forces' premature withdrawal from Iraq won't be a big deal. It's not that they don't care that it will look like a loss--they can't be that stupid. Or at least I hope they can't.

No, the liberals don't mind a U.S. loss because THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT LOSING MEANS to the stature of America globally. And because they don't know what it means to lose, they don't know how important it is that we win.

Heck, Obama even talks about our defeat in Iraq as "helping" our image in the Middle East.

Has a more cockamamie idea ever existed?

A fascination with the weak is a creation only of the Western civilization's romantic mind, and I don't think there are a lot of those in the Middle East. To look at that society that still treats women largely as property and is about as racist as any that has EVER lived and say that our nation's stature will be enhanced by losing ANYTHING is dangerously naive.

Which, as it turns out, is an Obama specialty.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programs. . .

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

"A fascination with the weak is a creation only of the Western civilization's romantic mind"


Brilliant! Mind if I quote you?

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am honored. Thank you!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home