Sunday, May 25, 2008

a modest tax increase proposal

Okay, I'm about to call "uncle" on the price of a gallon of gas--in fact, on prices in general.

I am a blessed man, make no mistakes about it. In the financial arena, I get paid comfortably and my only debts are in real estate. I am willing to bet that 90% of the country envies my financial situation.

But as I look at my credit card bill and see the dollars spent increasing dramatically for no consumer-driven reason, even I am looking for ways to cut my expenses.

I'm even considering something that I NEVER look to as a good solution: taxes.

The three candidates have all weighed in on this within the realm of the price of gas, just one of the areas that are experiencing increasing prices. I am unimpressed. Either they call for a restriction on free-market practices or they provide an inconsequential benefit to the consumer. That's three swings and a miss--next batter, please.

So what can be done about the price of. . .uh, everything? I mean isn't EVERYTHING suffering?

There's one area where that answer is a definitive "no".

Movie revenues.

Last weekEND, the top 12 movies grossed over $120 million. This holiday weekend, industry experts are expecting something north of $200 million. And for the summer as a whole--when people should be putting extra change under their bed cushions to prepare for the long fiscal winter ahead--projections hold that there will be over $2 billion put into box office hands.

Now I know those aren't "profits". . .but some of that money certainly will be. After all, that's a LOT of money!

Hence my proposal: a 10%/$1 increase (whichever is less) in ticket prices at the box office that goes directly to the federal government to help put out more "stimulus" packages. Or to help fund the one we just got. Or whatever--SOMETHING to bring financial relief to the consumer.

Think about that: this weekend alone, that would amount to $20 million dollars; for the summer as a whole, that's $200 million dollars.

Which is, I know, a drop in the bucket. The economic stimulus package just cost the federal government $170 billion--$200 million is a little over .1% of that.

But at least it's something.

You would figure that the liberals would be all over this one, since they're such big fans of regressive taxes.

Of course, you'd be wrong. The fact that it might impact the revenue of THEIR cash-cow industry means it won't get off the ground. The "do as I say" crowd never met a cause they would let interfere with their own perceived importance.

But I can dream.

A tax even I support. Go figure.

Of course, I'd much prefer it if we would up our own ability to "get" oil.

I mentioned I can dream, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home