Saturday, May 02, 2009

Has it come to this?

I am going to write about something that I have NEVER thought to write about before:

The Miss USA pageant.

By now, you might have heard about Carrie Prejean, a contestant in that event representing California. A beautiful gal with a good head on her shoulders, in the Q&A portion of the competition she was asked by Perez Hilton about gay marriage.

Her answer, in which she said that she thought marriage should be between a man and a woman, supposedly drew boos from the crowd, but in this clip on youtube, I hear a lot more applause than I do boos--in fact, all I hear is applause and a general mass of noise that could not CLEARLY be described as booing. Anyhow, I'll allow that there were probably a smattering of boos in there--the point isn't really central to my writing today.

What definitely DID happen, however, was that her answer drew the ire of a whole bunch of people. Hilton called her a "dumb bitch", Keith Olbermann took a predictably low-minded route in attacking her personally (calling her a "boob" and giving entirely too much time to a "journalist" who spends almost 3 minutes throwing names and attacks around like an 8 year old on a playground, actually saying that he "knows for a fact" that Carrie Prejean used to be "Harry" Prejean--and that's not even the most immature thing he said!)--even pageant organizers have taken a decidedly anti-Prejean tack. For a few days there, Prejean could literally have turned on a TV or opened her mail and heard and seen about nothing other than her--and in not the most flattering light.

But she is no shrinking violet, this Miss Prejean. She is brave, and for that she should be held in high esteem. Which, of course, means that she will continue to draw the most dispicable of attacks from people on the other side of the ideological aisle from her ON THIS ONE ISSUE.

I admire her courage. I wish her every success in the future.

But I fear for the young lady. I hope she has a permanent security detail attached to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home